You may know that I’m currently heavily into self-publishing. These days, it just makes sense for professional writers. Beverley Kendall’s just released her Self-Publishing Survey Results, and it makes fascinating reading. All 29 pages of it. Kudos to Beverley.
Download the report, and read it.
I haven’t read it all, but this stood out for me:
On the other hand, of the respondents who have 12 – 20 books up for sale:
• 21.70% earned $0 – $10,000
• 11.32% earned $10,001 – $25,000
• 15.09% earned $25,001 – $50,000
• 15.09% earned $50,001 – $75,000
• 6.60% earned $75,001 – $100,000
• 13.21% earned $100,001 – $250,000
• 9.43% earned $250,001 – $500,000
• 7.55% earned more than $500,000*
I’ve always said that the more books you publish, the better. And that you should write in series. Of course, they need to be good books, that should go without saying. You can’t publish any old junk and hope to be among the top earners who are making half a million dollars a year. So, do make your books the best they can be, even if it takes you several years to publish 12 or more books. This isn’t a race.
The survey: 822 respondents
In her report, Beverley shares why she created the survey:
… it was in response to the many articles, posts and surveys that proclaimed the vast majority of authors made little to nothing self-publishing. The amount I see most frequently is less than $500 a year.
Admittedly, 822 respondents isn’t a large number, and the respondents were self-selected. So it doesn’t mean that you’ll get the results the survey’s respondents have. On the other hand, you may do even better. Remember, we’re still in the very early days of the self-publishing revolution.
Think I’m using hyperbole when I talk about a revolution? Maybe so. On the other hand, my first book was published by Macdonald-Futura well over 30 years ago, and I’ve been self-publishing long enough that it feels like a revolution to me.
If you’re into self-publishing, read the report. Again, kudos to Beverley. She’s an inspiration.
Latest posts by Angela Booth (see all)
- Write More, Sell More: 5 Tips To Make Dictation Work For You - June 7, 2017
- Get Clients: Pitch Your Writing With Proposal Generators - June 3, 2017
- Essential Writing Tip: Double Your Income In Ten Minutes (Or Less) - May 27, 2017