Note that Ulysses 3 is a Mac-only app. If you’re looking for a Windows app, I’ve heard good things about MarkdownPad
I’m always looking for writing tools which make a writer’s life easier. Scrivener’s my primary writing tool. Although it’s wonderful for long-form material, I’ve found that it’s just not right for everyday Web content. For me, anyway. Your mileage may vary. I’ve been using Scrivener for many years, since it came out in beta. This means that I like my Scrivener files to look a certain way — I have templates for everything. Writing short material in Scrivener just seems wrong, somehow. 🙂
By the way, here are some free Scrivener fiction templates you may like.
So, I was looking for an app which:
* Had instant preview for Markdown syntax;
* Let me batch-create articles (plan and write many articles concurrently);
* Provided an easy way to organize my content according to client and date (I write masses of content for clients, as well as for my own projects);
* Used cloud storage (a hard drive meltdown made me an instant “cloud” convert;
* Offered an iOS app so I could write on my phone and iPad when I’m out of the office;
* Made getting content in and out super-easy.
To be honest, I never expected to find everything I wanted in one app. Markdown facility was vital. I use Markdown for ALL short content, because it’s easy to reformat. You can create PDF, RTF, and HTML at a click. All the short content I create MUST be easily reformatted.
Although I try to keep up with what’s new in apps, Ulysses 3 wasn’t on my radar. I own Ulysses 2, but I rarely use it, since I prefer Scrivener. So when version 3 came out, it didn’t hit me that it was anything I’d need, since I wasn’t using 2.
Last week I was moaning to a friend about keeping Web content organized, and she suggested that Ulysses 3 might be what I was looking for. There’s a trial version, so I downloaded it and played with it for an hour. Then I immediately got the full version.
It’s brilliant, just what I need. If you’re a Mac user, and you write lots of Web content every day, check out the trial.
Latest posts by Angela Booth (see all)
- Write To Sell: More Secrets You Can Use Today - August 21, 2017
- Journaling To Build A Writing Habit (And Succeed As A Writer) - August 18, 2017
- Three Valuable Writing Mistakes: What I’ve Learned - August 14, 2017