Would you like to see your blog as a published book on bookstore shelves? Perhaps you can. If your blog gets lots of readers, you could interest a publisher.
Publishers are always looking for the next exciting thing, and it may be your blog. Many blogs have transformed into books; so many that there’s even a term for it: a “blook.”
Acquisitions editors (the people who sign up authors at publishing houses) browse the Web, so if you have a popular blog, you may get a message asking you whether you’d consider turning your blog into a book.
If that doesn’t happen, you can contact publishers yourself, with a book proposal query letter.
Basically, a query letter is just what it sounds like. It’s a question – you’re asking the publishing house whether they’re interested in a book, based on your blog.
This letter is short, no longer than a single page. You need to include:
* The name of your blog and the number of readers you have each day;
* The theme for the book (although it may be based on your blog, your book can’t be just a collection of blog posts. You’ll need to work out what the theme of your book will be);
* The market for your book. How many copies could your book sell? If your blog/ book are on a popular topic like self help, there’s potentially a large market for it;
* An offer to send a complete proposal (20 to 30 pages describing your book and its market in detail.)
Once you’ve written your query letter, send it to publishers and literary agents. You’ll find names and contact details on the Web. Send your letter to publishers which publish other books on your book’s topic. Browse bookstore shelves to find appropriate publishers.
While you’re waiting for a response, start writing your book proposal. You need to have your proposal ready to send as soon as you get a nibble of interest.
And of course, keep writing your blog. The more popular your blog becomes, the more likely it is that you’ll interest a publisher.
Latest posts by Angela Booth (see all)
- Writing Fiction: 3 Tips To Finish Your Novel In 7 Days - July 11, 2018
- Blogging To Sell: 3 Ways To Make Your Blog Work For You - July 9, 2018
- Write Short Stories With Story Power (Promotion Ends Soon) - July 6, 2018