Ready for Christmas holiday sales in your self-publishing venture? It’s tempting to slow down your publishing at this time of the year, because you’re busy.
However, traditional publishers and indies will be promoting heavily — your sales may dwindle if you let things slide.
Promote your books, but also, publish a new book or two. For fiction authors, the popularity of short ebooks makes it easy to publish and sell short stories quickly.
Self-publishing: short stories sell well, especially over the holidays
Have you tried self-publishing short stories? Readers enjoy them, because:
- They’re busy too. They may not be prepared to commit the time to reading a novel or novella, but a short story is perfect;
- Kindle Unlimited. When you publish your short stories into KDP Select, they’re free to Kindle Unlimited subscribers, and these subscribers are looking for fast and fun holiday reads.
Let’s look at some tips to help you to boost your book sales over the holidays.
1. Check your publishing catalogue: can you write prequels or sequels?
Have you published a series? If so, why not create a prequel or sequel short story or two, set in your series’ world? Of course, give each story a “Christmas” flavor.
No series? Not a problem. Choose one of your novels, and write a story set in that world. Again, remember: Christmas.
2. Publish regularly: readers are looking for entertainment
Once the holiday rush is over, readers look for entertainment between Christmas and the New Year. Perhaps they’ve received a Kindle device, or a new iPad or phone, and want to read fiction.
If you publish regularly between now and the first weeks of 2019, you’ll give your readers the entertainment they need.
3. Boost your sales: excerpt your biggest sellers at the end of your short stories
When you’re self-publishing your short stories, look on them as advertisements. You can excerpt a novel, or another story at the end of your ebook, to introduce readers to another book.
One tip: Amazon has introduced new rules for bonus content. Be aware that your bonus content must be listed in the Table of Contents, and must make up no more than 10% of your ebook.
Happy holidays: short stories are fun to write, and to sell
Not only are short stories fun to write, the sales of your stories will surprise you. Of course, pricing is up to you, but you can sell stories at $2.99 in many genres.
Happy self-publishing… 🙂
Why write serial fiction?
Everyone's busy today. A serial is by its nature, faster to write, and publish, than a novel.
It's a quicker read too, and many readers appreciate this. While a reader may hesitate before committing hours to a novel, he can read an episode of your serial in minutes.More info →
Want to write short stories? If you answered yes, that's excellent… Here's why. Today, you can make money writing short fiction.More info →
Resources to build your writing career
Get daily writing news and tips on the blog’s Facebook page.
Latest posts by Angela Booth (see all)
- (New) Social Media Copywriting And Graphics: Get Attention And Sell More - January 6, 2019
- Oh No, Not Again: How To Survive Publishing And Other Deadlines - January 3, 2019
- Write To Sell: 5 Easy Product Creation Tips For 2019 - December 29, 2018