The final quarter of 2018 is well underway. It’s time to review the year’s writing goals. What worked for you this year? What didn’t?
Whether or not you were especially productive, you created assets this year, and you can use those assets to increase your profits over the next few weeks.
Succeed with your writing goals: make the most of your assets
Your assets may include:
- Your client list; clients you won, and with whom you’ve developed a relationship;
- Marketing collateral: book covers, advertisements, graphics, and videos you’ve created, or commissioned someone to create for you;
- Your mailing list, or lists, which you’ve developed;
- Articles/ blog posts you’ve written;
- Social media accounts you’ve developed. You may have become an “influencer”. These accounts are assets;
- Your blog: has it grown this year?
- Products you’ve created to sell. These may be simple products like templates or calendars, or more complex products like video courses;
- Books you’ve written this year, whether short, or longer…
It’s easy to forget about your assets, and when you do, you’re leaving money on the table.
Your assets will help you to achieve your writing goals. These tips will help you to do more with your assets.
1. Make a list of your most important assets
As writers, we’re focused on productivity — winning more clients, publishing more books, building our blog… We create and create. It’s rare that we use our creations to their fullest potential.
Make a list of the assets you developed in 2018.
You may have blogged, and a developed a mailing list for example. You may also have created a slew of advertisements this year.
Vital: make it a habit to review your assets at least once a month, and look for ways you can do more with them.
2. Use an asset a week. You’ll boost your income every week
I tell my students who are new writers or authors: “You’re starting at zero. Writing will never again be as challenging or as difficult, because you’re building assets.”
Want to increase your income every week? Choose an asset and do something extra with it.
Send out a message to your clients announcing a new service. If you’re a self-publisher, choose a book which isn’t selling as much as you’d like and revamp the blurb. Turn five blog posts into an ebook and publish it.
3. Brainstorm ways you can do more with your assets
Once you have a list of your assets, brainstorm ways in which you can do more with them.
Perhaps you’ve worked hard on your blog this year. You’re using advertising networks. Why not consider creating a page for advertisers, and approaching companies which might like to advertise with you?
Remember that even your ads are assets. For example, if you’ve created Amazon AMS ads, copy your best producers, and create new ads from them.
You can always do more with your books. Publish in new languages. Create audio books.
Set new writing goals to use your assets in the final weeks of the year
The holiday season will arrive within weeks. There’s still time to make 2018 your best-ever year. Start by doing more with what you’ve already created — and have fun. 🙂
Publicity And Marketing Magic For Writers: How To Build Your Writing Platform And Sell More Every Day
Write, and publish, and promote your writing... You can change your life as a writer in an hour, when you discover the art of publicity and platform.More info →
I'm sure you've heard quotes like: "if you can imagine it, you can achieve it." And: "if you can dream it, you can become it."More info →
Resources to build your writing career
Get daily writing news and tips on the blog’s Facebook page.
Latest posts by Angela Booth (see all)
- Writing Goals: 3 Tips To Increase Your Success In 2018 - November 3, 2018
- Create Your Own Writing Process: Write Fast, Write More - October 31, 2018
- Romance Genre Fiction: 3 Easy Steps to Hot Sales - October 29, 2018