I’m always trying out writing apps. It’s an addiction, but a beneficial one. Playing with an app keeps my inner censor distracted, so that I get more writing done.
Ulysses is one of my favorite apps; I love that you can write in Markdown, and the fact that you can just start typing. Create a new document in your Inbox, and go. No worrying about where you want to put the document, or about file names.
What’s new in Ulysses for Mac?
Basically a redesign of the user interface, which is a good thing. The previous design was a little confusing. It seems snappier to me, too.
- A favorites list on the sidebar (speaking of which, I couldn’t access Favorites via right-click. Nor did it appear on the menu. So I selected all the text in a document, and Favorites appeared. Favorites now appears on the right-click menu too. Hope this helps you if you’re similarly mystified);
- A Dark mode;
- Attachments on the menu bar;
- A “goals” feature like the one in Scrivener.
The big news: Ulysses for iPad integration
Not much use to me currently, but I might change my stance on buying the iPad version in time. The iPad version looks lovely; just like the Mac version. It has support for external keyboards too.
Should you try Ulysses?
Of course you should, if you have a Mac. There’s a demo version you can download and try. The Ulysses people have also created a new Do You Write? website with user stories, so you can check to see how others use the app.
I use it primarily for blogging. I love the fact that I can create a quick draft post, on the go, while I’m doing something else. (I think I might be talking myself into buying Ulysses for iPad… :-))
As I suggested in a recent post, the simplest way to create content for your blog is to do it while you write. I’ve got several stories in Ulysses in draft form for each of my own blogs, as well as client blogs.
Hate blogging? Here’s how to make it easy
Our new program, Professional Blogger’s Toolbox: Blogging Profits Made Simple, helps you to make blogging work for you. Check it out.
How to profit from your writing: online store.
Latest posts by Angela Booth (see all)
- Creativity Sells Your Writing: 3 Fast Ideas To Try Today - February 13, 2019
- Copywriting For Beginners: Top 5 Money-Making Tips - February 11, 2019
- Marketing For Writers: Who Buys Your Writing? Why? - February 9, 2019