Content marketing is huge online. It involves providing information and entertainment via text, video, audio and images, and using that content for marketing. You’re a writer, so you can provide content, yes?
Content marketing is a wonderful opportunity for writers in two ways:
* Clients hire you to create content, and pay you, ideally on a retainer, so that you create a specific amount of content for them each month;
* You create content to market your own products. While this isn’t for every writer, it’s wonderful because the products you create (blogs, ebooks, online courses) will stream profits to you for years.
Make Money Writing About What You Love
Here’s where content marketing gets interesting. It means that you can make money writing about what you love.
Everyone love something. E.L. James, of “Fifty Shades of Grey” fame, makes $1.3 million dollars every week (yes, every week) because she wrote about what she loved. She turned her “Twilight” fan fiction into a bestselling ebook phenomenon. She’s shaking up the publishing industry.
What do you love? Heather B. Armstrong of Dooce.com fame loves writing about her family. She’s turned that into a multi-million dollar business. She’s also become a role and business model for a legion of “mommy bloggers.”
If you love telling stories, storytelling writers sell short and long fiction on Amazon’s Kindle book store.
Everyone has the writing bug, but the most common question I hear from my writing students is: “What will I write about?”
The short answer is always: write what you LOVE.
How to Get Started Making Money Writing About What You Love
Start by making a list of what you love:
* If you love pizza, beer, and chocolate cake, create a food blog.
* If you love your iPad, create a tech blog. Millions of iPad owners love their gadgets. They love to read about their gadgets. Write about rumors of new iPads, iPad apps, iPad cases and covers, and how to run your business using an iPad, or how to teach and entertain your kids with an iPad.
* If you love to read mysteries, write your own. Or create a mystery readers’ blog, and review the mysteries you read. Interview authors of mysteries.
Make another list of challenges you have, or challenges family members have.
Here are some examples:
* If you’re overweight, and want to get skinny, create a weight loss and fitness blog. You can inspire yourself and millions of others to lose weight.
* If you have a health challenge, write about that. Create a blog for fellow diabetes or arthritis sufferers.
Have you chosen something you want to write about?
Create a Blog About Something You Love, or About a Challenge
Everything starts with a blog. Here’s why. A blog is your test, in two ways. Firstly, it’s a content test — can you write about your topic week after week? Secondly, it’s a popularity test — do you get readers?
You’ll notice that so far, we haven’t said anything about money. That’s because in content marketing, the content is vital. If you can’t create the content, you have no way to make money.
Make Money from Your Content
A few years ago, you could make great money from posting advertisements on a blog. It was a simplicity itself. Slap some AdSense ads onto your blog, and you were off to the races. You can still do that, of course.
Go ahead and add some advertising to your blog. The more traffic you get, the more money you will make.
There are many other ways to make money from your blog. You can create products (Kindle ebooks) based on your blog. You can create coaching courses for your readers.
For now, focus on the content. Once you have readers, you can survey them to see what they need from you.
Everything starts with writing about what you love, so start there. Write.
We began by saying that content marketing is huge online, and that people will hire you to create content for them. Your blog is a wonderful writing sample. Advertise your availability as a content creator on your blog.
Then, over time, create your own products.
There’s never been a better time to be a writer. You can, and should, make money writing about what you love. So get started. 🙂