Stuck in your freelance writing career? Try mental imagery, also known as virtual memory and visualization.
Many freelance writers use visualization for success. Unfortunately, many more freelance writers use visualization to stay stuck in a rut – they worry about their writing.
A worrying writer is using visualization to destroy his career.
Unsure whether you’re a worrying writer? A worrier is a writer who:
* Can’t write unless everything is perfect. That is, you’ve got an hour of free time where you’re guaranteed no interruptions, plus you feel inspired, and plus you have permission from your family to write. And the weather needs to be right too – you can’t write when it’s too hot, or too cold;
* Thinks everything he writes is junk, and has no idea how to fix it. After all, you can’t submit to a magazine or a Web site if your writing isn’t Pulitzer quality, right?;
* Revises Chapter One 523 times, and then can’t get started on Chapter Two;
* Obsesses about exactly what the editor meant when he wrote “not right for us” (clue – he meant not right for them) for ten weeks, and then polls everyone he knows on every writing forum on exactly what fonts and paper to use in submitting to the Chicken Pluckers’ Monthly;
* Will write when he retires/ when the kids are older/ when he has more money/ after the writing conference he’ll attend in 2010.
Worrying writer or not, you can start today to use visualization to boost your freelance writing success.
There are endless books on visualization, and if you haven’t read any, go and read. It’s a worthwhile investment of your time – the books will show you how to use your imagination to help your writing.
Visualize the end result for success
With visualization, you visualize the end result – your name on the cover of a book, having lunch with your agent, depositing a check for your advance. You imagine this as completely as you can, with all sensory details – sights, sounds, touch and so on.
Visualization is used by sports people to achieve results. If you want freelance writing success, you’ll use it too.
Recession-proof your freelance writing career
“Write More And Make More Money From Your Writing: Develop A Fast, Fun Productive Writing Process” gives you all the tools you need for a thriving writing career, no matter what the economic climate.
Three weeks after completing the class one student wrote:
“Thanks Angela, for all your help and advice in class. I’m quitting my job next week. I printed out my letter of resignation tonight after landing a contract writing job that will pay me more for three months part-time work than I earned in from my day job in the whole of 2007! You were right – the great gigs are out there, and now I’ve got the skills to land them. Your class opened my eyes. Bless you…”
“Write More And Make More Money From Your Writing: Develop A Fast, Fun Productive Writing Process” shows you how to thrive as a freelance writer. Would you like to write five times more than you’re writing now, and sell to higher-paying markets? Take the class.
[tags]freelance writing, success, motivation, write more, visualization[/tags]
Latest posts by Angela Booth (see all)
- Get Organized, And Write To Sell: 3 Easy Bullet Journaling Tips - July 9, 2019
- When You Can’t Write Because You Have Too Many Ideas - July 7, 2019
- Get It Done: How To Double Your Writing Output, Fast - July 4, 2019