Want to make more income from an article for a print or Web publication? You can, when you add value.
You can add value in many ways. Consider:
* A sidebar or two. Sidebars give additional information. For example, if you’re writing an article about dieting, you could add a sidebar about debunked diets;
* Photographs. These can be photos you’ve taken, or photos you’ve sourced. If you source the photos from a stock photography library, make sure you can pass on the rights to the publication;
* A quiz. Editors love quizzes, because readers enjoy them;
* Additional resources – books, movies, Web sites, etc to give readers more information about the article’s topic.
Important tip – clear your value-adds with your editor
Before you go to the trouble of value-adding, suggest the additional material to your editor. If she says yes, ask how much extra the publication will pay. Make sure that your agreement covers the payment for your value-adds.
[tags]freelance writing, articles, sidebars, photographs[/tags]
Latest posts by Angela Booth (see all)
- Creativity Sells Your Writing: 3 Fast Ideas To Try Today - February 13, 2019
- Copywriting For Beginners: Top 5 Money-Making Tips - February 11, 2019
- Marketing For Writers: Who Buys Your Writing? Why? - February 9, 2019