If you’re using either Elance or oDesk, or have used these freelance writing outsourcing websites in the past, you’ll be interested in this news. The two online job marketplaces are merging. From the press release:
The expected key strategic benefits of the merger include:
* Significant investments in technology. This includes tools for more effective hiring, seamless online collaboration, improved mobile accessibility and skills development.
* Higher quality results for all customers. Combining our engineering and data science expertise will deliver quality improvements including better-matched freelancers for businesses and superior job recommendations for freelancers.
How will this affect you if you use these sites?
Currently, you won’t be affected. According to the FAQ page, the companies will continue to operate as separate entities. The merger will take place in around four months. No doubt you’ll see some changes after that.
Interesting facts from the press release:
This merger is a landmark in the evolution of work,” said oDesk chief executive officer Gary Swart. “With 2.7 billion people now connected online, people are hungry for more freedom to work flexibly and for teams to come together more easily. The $422 billion global staffing market is ripe for reinvention. With online work growing at least ten times more rapidly than staffing overall, oDesk is thrilled to join with Elance in order to innovate faster.”
What’s the good news for writers in this merger?
While these two online job marketplaces offer a good way for beginning freelancers to get jobs, the overall quality of gigs and clients is low, so they’re not venues for experienced writers.
You’ll see plenty of article writing projects on these sites at rates of $1 per article. If you’re living in a developed economy, there’s no way you can make a living at these rates.
Experience writers need to get their own writing gigs. The good news for you if you’re an experienced professional writer is this: companies are outsourcing more than they ever have. With hundreds of billions of dollars on offer, you can get your slice of that particular pie in 2014. Make sure that you do. :-)
Latest posts by Angela Booth (see all)
- NEW and Powerful for 2014: Copywriting YOU Can DO - August 1, 2014
- Writing For Money: 3 Tips for Creating Products FAST - July 31, 2014
- Book Marketing With Your Blog: 3 Easy Ideas - July 30, 2014