We’ve talked about getting writing jobs this week, but we haven’t talked about something essential…How to make more money from each of your writing clients…
As writers, we’re creatives. We’re not wonderful at making the most of our skills. This is a shame, because we fail to use some very simple strategies to increase our income. One of the simplest is: upselling.
You’re familiar with upselling. You hear it at fast food outlets: “Will you have fries with that…?”; when you’re buying electronics: “Service calls are expensive. You can buy three years of insurance…” Etc. Everyone upsells.
When you get the gig: upsell
Once you’ve been hired… upsell.
Do it automatically, just like the fast food people do.
Here are some examples of easy upselling:
* When someone buys web content: upsell them to a monthly content retainer. (You write X pages/ blog posts for $X, every month);
* When you’ve just sold an article to a publication: upsell with three more article queries/ online content/ weekly social media marketing;
* When someone hires you to write a Kindle ebook: upsell with ebook publicity/ an ebook blog tour;
* When someone hires you to write a Web sales page: upsell with a short report, and autoresponder copy.
Will your clients ALL accept your offer of an upsell?
No, they won’t. But some will. And they will all respect your professionalism and enthusiasm — and you’ve planted a seed. The seed is: you can write additional material for them. Now they know that, and that’s a big thing.
Your clients are grateful to you
When I talk about things like upsells, and following up with clients, some writers balk. They don’t want to “bother” people.
If you feel this way, relax. Trust me, it’s not a “bother” when you ask about upsells, and follow up with prospects.
Listen up: it’s hard for people to hire writers.
It takes time and energy. They’re worried about hiring the wrong writer. They’re worried that they’ll hire you and you’ll flit off into the sunset, never to be heard from again.
Since hiring writers is a PAIN to your clients, offering things like upsells is pure relief to them. They either take you up on your offer, or they don’t, but it’s certainly not a bother to them.
Grab a sticky note, and write UPSELL! on it. Stick it to your computer monitor.
If you remember no other writing advice I give you, remember: upsell! You’ll increase your income painlessly.
Latest posts by Angela Booth (see all)
- Happy Easter, Dear Writer - April 20, 2014
- Blogging Jobs Made Easy: 3 Tricks You Can Use Today - April 19, 2014
- Apologies: Websites Down Yesterday - April 18, 2014