Fame is all the rage these days. It’s reality-everything, and everyone wants to be a star.
You may not be seeking the limelight, but chances are that if you’re new to writing, you’re waiting for someone to give you permission to do what you want to do. Unfortunately, chances are you’ll be waiting forever.
It’s important that you realize that you don’t need anyone’s permission to write. Your own desire is all the permission you need. You don’t need to wait to be “discovered”.
Four years ago, in Get discovered as a freelance writer | Angela Booth’s Fab Freelance Writing Blog I said:
” So what do you need to do to get discovered?
* Get a blog;
* Network via the social media – MySpace, LinkedIn etc;
* Make contacts, by getting jobs, and getting people to pass your name on to others;
* Lather, rinse, repeat. The more visible you are online, the more chances you have to get discovered.”
That’s true, as far as it goes. However, I’ve noticed with my writing students that one of the biggest hurdles they need to overcome is the habit of seeking validation for what they want to do, before they’ll begin.
This is a pernicious habit. You’re the expert on YOU, no one else is. Therefore no one else can validate your ideas.
I receive email messages every day, from new writers as well as from established ones, asking me what I think of some idea or other.
There’s truly no point in asking me — or asking anyone else.
You don’t need permission to write anything at all. If you get an idea, write it. Who knows — it may make you a star. 🙂
It takes time to realize that only YOU are the expert on you, and that you don’t need anyone’s permission to write whatever you want to write.
Sooner or later, you’ll stop asking for validation, and that’s when the real fun of writing begins. This is because everything you write is a process of discovery. Enjoy the journey of discovering yourself as a writer — you don’t need anyone’s permission, and you may well become a star.
Latest posts by Angela Booth (see all)
- Self-Publishing: 3 Tips For KDP Select “Freebie” Success - June 10, 2018
- Self-Publishing: 5 Ways To Get More Readers And Sales - June 7, 2018
- Plan, Write, And Publish Serial Fiction In Four Weeks (New) - June 3, 2018