Blogs are everywhere now, so blog jobs are easy for writers to get.
Judging from the email messages I receive however, many writers still don’t “get” blogs.
Here’s what you need to know:
* Blogs are popular because the search engines love them. They’re indexed quickly, which means that a blog can drag a new Web site into the search engines, so that the business can start making sales within weeks, rather than months;
* Blogs need frequent updating. That search engine love won’t continue unless there are frequent updates;
* Blog posts can be just a few sentences long, or they can be full-length articles and reports of 2000 words. However, most blog posts are somewhere between 200 and 500 words for easier reading;
* Before you start applying for blog jobs, you need a blog yourself. Not only does this blog act as a portfolio item to display your writing skills, it also teaches you how blogging works;
* A blog is a Web site, so if you’re a nervous writer, a blog makes a perfect site for you. In addition to your portfolio blog, create a “freelance writing services” blog or two for yourself;
* Blogging platforms like Blogger and TypePad give you a fast start – on Blogger, you can set up a blog within 90 seconds;
* How much you charge for your blogging services depends on YOU – you always set your own rates. So don’t be stampeded into accepting low rates – there needs to be a match between the prices you charge, and the business’s budget;
* Look for blog jobs which tie in to your interests. Some blog jobs will feel as if they’re made for you, others will be a stretch. Don’t accept a blog job which covers a topic you hate, or don’t feel comfortable with.
OK – now go and get some blog jobs, but make sure you’ve got your “sample” blog set up first.
Need more help?
My blogging bestseller Blogging For Dollars shows you exactly how you can become a career blogger – blogging is a perfect gig for writers.
In Sell Your Writing Online NOW (SYWON), we cover blogging in detail, from the basics, right up to creating blogs to sell, so that you can make a great income from the blogs you create.
Discover the world of Web writing – make a great income writing from home, or from anywhere
There’s great money in Web writing. Some Web writers are making $20,000 a month by blogging for a stable of sites. Others are writing articles or ebooks.
Join the Web writing gold rush with Angela Booth’s comprehensive training: “Sell Your Writing Online Now”.
[tags]blog,blogging,blog job,make a blog,how to blog,writing,freelance writing, writing skills[/tags]
Latest posts by Angela Booth (see all)
- Short Stories: 10 Powerful Ways To Use Them - February 10, 2018
- Fiction Writing Kickstart For New Authors: Write Short Stories - February 8, 2018
- Self-Publishing: How To Cope With Indie Author Stress - February 3, 2018